Hard at Work
|Width:||76 cm (30 in)|
|Height:||76 cm (30 in)|
|Techniques:||Layered collage, raw edge appliqué, free motion quilting, faced binding|
|Materials:||Cotton batik fabrics, jeans fabric, tulle, cotton/polyester batting, cotton, polyester and rayon threads, fusing material|
|Colors:||Beige, green, blue, brown, red|
Quilting is the way I connect to my creative side. I love watching a new work come together. It amazes me each time. I am always aware of elements, such as light, shadow, value and bone structure. But the most important lesson is noticing the small nuances at the end of the process. A slight tilt of the head, a subtle smile on one side of the face, a dimple, a wink. The tweak could be a millimeter but that speaks miles.
This layered collage portrait of my son-in-law, while he drilled into the wall is really quite commonplace. But there is a kind of tension in the work. How he is holding the drill and concentrating and the shadow he cast on the wall are all details I discovered by really focusing on the photo.
|Exhibitions:||“Quilted Portraits and More” exhibit at Mancuso quilt festivals
– World Quilt New England, Springfield, MA, USA, 11-13 Aug 2022
– Quiltfest, Greenville, SC, USA, 28-30 Apr 2022
– Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, Hampton, VA, USA, 24-27 Feb 2022
– Pacific International Quilt Festival, Santa Clara, CA, USA, 14-17 Oct 2021
– Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza, Oaks, PA, USA, 16-19 Sep 2021
|To begin designing your own customized quilt, click here to contact Cindy.|